Monday, October 1, 2007

Airline Review: Virgin America

Virgin America launched it's cross country routes a few weeks back, and as I had to do the infamous NY to San Fran run this week, I decided to give them a try. As a frequent traveler, I am always weary of new 'low fare' airlines. I have flown on Virgin Atlantic a half dozen times, and although these two companies are officially separate entities, I was comforted by the name.

The first glance of the main cabin (read: economy) gives a real 'wow'. Nice black leather seats and funky lighting. Featured is an in seat entertainment system with movies, DISH Networks, music (of course) and games. The seatback system is also used to order the complimentary soft drinks and ala carte snacks. Make sure your credit card is handy, as they don't accept cash on board.
One of my favorite features is the 110 jack (2 per row of 3 seats in economy). It's a real live 110 jack. No adapters or converters needed. VA was also bright enough to install a RJ45 connection there as well. They don't work yet, but I assume that internet in the air will be a reality in the near future. Also in the console is a USB charger. Personally, these always scare me a little -- I'll plug the iPhone into my MacBook Pro, thank you.

The service was great, and by $7 'cheese snack' was both palatable and welcomed on the long flight.

As for gripes, I have but one. The company that gives you 110 and ethernet jacks does not give you enough room to use them. Once the gentleman in the seat in front of my reclined, my tray table was completely useless for laptop work, and marginal at best for eating.

That being said, the experience was pretty darn good, and I was able to get a few hours of work done with the laptop curiously perched on my lap at an angle.

In summary, 4 out of 5 stars. And Virgin America can earn the other one back by giving me some additional leg (and laptop) room.

No comments: