Wednesday, May 16, 2007

How do you deal with a MicroManager?

The subject of micro-management came up during dinner the other night. A synopsis of the conversation:
Them: Have you ever had a micro manager boss?
Me: Of course.
Them: How did you handle the situation?
Me: I quit.
Them: You love your current position, don't you?
Me: Yes indeed.
Them: What if you got a new boss who was a micro manager?
Me: I'd quit.
I am too old and independent to have someone constantly on my back. I will toe the company line, do what's best for the organization, and put covers sheets on my TPS reports. My goal is always to make money by making my company and team successful. I am a professional. I put in crazy hours and exert undue stress upon myself and my family in the process. I spend too much time sitting in airports, on tarmacs, and in traffic -- all in the name of making myself and others successful. If a people need to know what I am doing from 9:00 to 9:15, they can look at my calendar. If I am forced to report my actions to a power tripping, resource analyzing micro manager, that 9:00 entry will read 'Interviewing'.

No comments: